Wednesday 30 September 2015

DIY Tutorial: Hand Painted Fairy Pendant Necklaces

Last Saturday, I was organizing my pile of boxes in the studio when I came across pieces of wooden boards that I purchased months ago. Like many of my art supplies, they were bought out of spontaneity, without much thoughts or ideas of what to do with them. Sometimes we're in real danger when we go to art supplies stores. Things just sing to us, like sirens at sea. Well, most likely to empty our wallet, rather than driving us to rocks. :)

After discovering these wooden treasures, I decided to create something new. Something cute and wearable. So I grabbed my tools and began to cut small pieces of wood, drilled two holes at the ends, then started to paint...



It's been a while since I last painted on canvas, let alone a piece of wood. And in this case, they were tiny pieces of wood, about 4 x 6 cm. So you can imagine how wobbly my hand was when I started out. I do recommend practicing on an unused piece before you begin on the real thing, just to get the hang of it. After I was done painting, I waited for about half a hour for the paint to settle and dry before applying a coat of glossy varnish.


For this project, I used acrylic paints, so it's not necessary to wait too long for them to dry because as you know, acrylics dry very fast. If you prefer to use oil paints, then it would be best to use a fast drying medium such as Liquin. Then after applying a thin layer of glossy varnish, I let them sit in the sun and left them until the next day. When you think it's dry, try touching it ever so slightly. If it doesn't feel tacky on your finger tip, then you're good to go.


But you know what I loved most about this project? I got to use oodles and oodles of trinkets that have been sitting in my studio, collecting dust. I used them in the past to embellish my mini paintings, but I think most people use these to create jewelry and other accessories. I absolutely loved trying out different ones to see which ones suit the wooden pendants best.

And so, after some tough decisions, here are the final look of my new wearable art...





I'm so glad with how they turned out and so, so glad I decided to create something different with my studio find. I guess sometimes you just need to be brave and let creativity lead the way. These pendant necklaces are now available in my shop. Meanwhile, I think I will think up more ideas of what to do with the rest of the wooden boards. ;)

See you soon,

6 comments:

  1. I really like the idea of creating without much thought because I think people think too much of what they want to do instead of just doing.

    these are so adorable and charming. I wish I could do something just as creative though I'm not so great with paint.

    hope you have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lissa. I totally agree. It's an advice I keep giving myself when I'm feeling stuck. Oh, you are definitely creative and I know how daunting painting can be. Believe me, I get cold feet every time. ;)

      A lovely day to you too! XO

      Delete
  2. I'm definitely guilty of buying things from art/craft stores and not using them for a very long time :) but it's a good job you did buy that wood because these are great!

    ISOSCELLA | https://isoscella.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are lovely, and so are your fabric creations too. Keep creating!

    ReplyDelete
  4. these are lovely
    it is fun to do something new
    also fun to use things we buy
    seems you are gifted with talent each direction you turn
    so glad you are sharing with us again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing superb information. Your web-site is very cool. I am impressed by the details that you have on this blog.It reveals how nicely you perceive this subject. Bookmarked this website page will come back for extra articles.

    pendant necklaces

    ReplyDelete

Tell me your lovely daydreams, they always make me smile! ♥