Saturday 21 July 2012

A New Watercolor Project


 

Happy weekend, everyone! I hope yours is starting wonderfully. I've been resting my pencils for a couple of days and picked up a brush to start a new little project. Some of you may already know that watercolor has always been a challenge for me. I guess it's the unpredictable quality of it that seems to keep me on the edge of my seat everytime I use it. What can I say? Maybe pencils are simply "well behaved"? Haha! But nevertheless, I'm really enjoying this new project. It's such a change from my usual work, kind of feels like a vacation for me. Sorry though, I can't tell you what it is just yet, but I will when it's ready! :)

So anyway, that's actually something I've always wondered about other artists. Do you use a particular medium for all your work? Do you ever feel that using something different would make your work unrecognizeable? I've noticed that some artists use various types of mediums and still manage to show their "signature", even if they are required to work outside of the box.

Well, that's something to ponder about... Meanwhile, I wish you all a lovely, cheerful weekend. See you soon!

Hugs,

13 comments:

  1. I find water colour one of the hardest mediums, you seemed to have managed very well and kept your own style at the same time!
    ManonX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Manon! I kept looking at them and wondered if people would know if they're mine. Just look so different to me. LOL!

      Delete
  2. sweet, I think they turned out great. It doesn't look like you struggled at all and they certainly reflect your style. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks, Karen! Well I did struggle at first, but it went along more smoothly after that. Hehe...

      Delete
  3. Yay! Hi Amelia! I'm so excited that we found eachother's blogs... lol, seems so silly since we *see* eachother so often through etsy... this is nice though, because now I get to know the person behind your amazing art! I'm always in awe of your work... & wow I can totally relate to working with different kinds of mediums. Pencils are soo in my comfort zone, I've only starting working with watercolors, & it's so scary!

    All the best & see you around :D

    Joanna
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for dropping by, Joanna! It's so lovely to see you here. I totally agree with you about being too comfortable in your comfort zone. I guess we just have to really break free sometimes. :) oxx

      Delete
  4. Dear Amalia, although the eyes, the noses and the mouths are different, your style is recognizable! I think that the use of a new medium can only give nuances to the manner of drawing/painting. Unless the artist has decided to try to find new ways of expression, of course
    Good luck with the project, I believe it will be a successful one!
    At our Saturday workshop we used watercolors for painting pebbles! The children enjoyed a lot and some of them managed pretty well.
    Watercolours have always been a challenge for me. I want to learn how to use them. I have a very precious gift from my husband - a book about the secrets of watercolours. I hope to draw something in Summer, just for pleasure...
    How are the kids? And the baby boy?... Hugs!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rossi! It's nice to know that people still recognize my work even if I use a totally different kind of approach. Sounds like you're having great times with your workshops...and I would definitely love to see a painting done by you! Take care dear friend, we are all happy and well over here. oxx

      Delete
  5. so lovely to see your art in watercolor, sweet as can be.
    i was just thinking about what you are saying with my latest piece. no matter what supplies i use, there is my flavor to the art, so interesting.... it is not like i am trying, it is just there and it is there in your art too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree, Tammie. I guess our work is our own "hand writing", it will always be ours. :)

      Delete
  6. Oh Amalia, your watercolors are just beautiful. I love the your illustrations.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely illustrations...the soft colors and all!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me your lovely daydreams, they always make me smile! ♥